Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Chocolate with a little bit of sunshine


Last Winter my friends begged me to make Peppermint bark, and for my first attempt at making bark I have to say it was pretty good.  Over the summer I had been looking for a new and delicious treat that would go perfect with a night of playing cards and drinking coffee with my girls.  Thanks to the Food Network and the Barefoot Contessa (aka. the most amazing woman on the channel).  Her episode was all about summer cooking and one thing she made was a White Chocolate Bark.  Her original recipe had walnuts, apricots and Cran-raisins.  Yummy!!!!


Here is what I did for those who would love to try this 15 minute recipe!!


This year I put my own spin on the simple recipe.  I have been on a coconut fix lately so I decided to add some shredded coconut to the toppings and thought, hmm blueberries are fabulous, so I added some dried blueberries.  I sometimes take milk chocolate and drizzle it over the finished product for that extra bit of chocolate, but today I thought I would keep it simple.





The longest part of this recipe is melting the chocolate. If you have a microwave it will probably cut your time in half, but I am without so I used a pot of boiling water and a heat resistant bowl. It took about 4 minutes.

Once its melted spread it out on a cookie sheet with some parchment paper on it so the chocolate doesn't stick, then you can sprinkle on however many toppings you want!!
I like to chop up any of the bigger ingredients so it keeps everything the same size,  with the apricots I cut each one into quarters and the walnuts were pre-chopped.  It makes the entire dish look more appealing. 
This is what it looked like before I put it in the freezer for about 10 minutes, just to make sure everything set into the chocolate.


Once you take it out of the freezer you can cut and enjoy.  It is a crowd favorite in my house and with all my friends and it is the perfect dessert for any night.

2 comments: