Pages

Friday, July 8, 2011

Whole Wheat, its a Treat

So my first attempt at substituting whole wheat flour for regular flour began this evening when I got home from work.  I had my plan in mind to alter my favorite cookie recipe.

Substitutions
White Unbleached Flour - Whole Wheat Flour

White Sugar - Splenda Sugar Blend
(it cuts your sugar in half)

Regular Chocolate Chips - Chocolate Chunks
(this was just because I wanted to use chunks instead of chips)

When the batter was mixing I noticed that the butter didn't absorb as well as it usually does with the sugar, but that was because there was less sugar in the batter.  When all the ingredients were added I could see that it made the batter a bit darker and there was a different texture to it.

The cookies took the same amount of time to bake and once finished and cooled they looked like regular Chocolate Chips (perhaps the color was a little different), however the taste was not that different.  You can definitely tell that the batter is made using Whole Wheat, but its not a bad change.



I think that this is a good alternative for people who are trying to watch what they are eating because there is about half the calories when compared to regular cookies, however, for those who like to indulge every now and then I would stick to the regular recipe, lets be honest, there is nothing as good as a freshly baked cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment