Pages

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Thanks for the Sun

For those who set out to make the greatest recipe and get their ingredients ready the night before, just remember to always take out your butter. Today I was all excited to make my newest discovered recipe; Raspberry Lemonade Bars, however, despite all my excitement my butter remained in the freezer, until I realized that I needed it to be room temperature about five minutes before I needed it. Oops... Thank God for sunny days in the middle of a heat wave because I had to go old school to warm my butter.  All I can say is thanks for the sun!
my Butter warming technique

After my butter was softened enough I made the crust which was easy, just butter, sugar, flour and salt.  The crust needed to bake for 20-25 minutes and while that was cooking we began the filling.


The filling was a smooth pink, and had bits of lemon zest mixed in.


The batter took about 35 minutes to bake and then I allowed it to cool for the rest of the day, about 6 hours and then I cut them into 16 squares.



These are a gift for my moms office tomorrow, so I made sure the plating was perfect with some powdered sugar and garnish with some mint leaves.

The Finished Product!
Lets hope they get positive reviews!!!


Here is the recipe - I got it from another blog, so please don't give me the credit!

Crust
9 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick, plus one tablespoon)
1/4 cup (50g) superfine sugar (or regular granulated)
1 cup (100g) of unbleached all-purpose flour
pinch salt
- cream butter and sugar together with salt
-mix in the flour until incorporated
-flour your hands, and then line the bottom of the pan so the crust is about a half an inch thick
-if you want you can use parchment paper to line the pan but you can also just bake as is.


Filling
1 1/2 cups (287g) superfine sugar (or regular granulated)
3 egg whites
1 egg
2/3 cup (150mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 3 lemons)
2 tablespoons lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
2/3 cup (65g) unbleached, all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
1-2 cups (150-275g) of frozen raspberries, defrosted
**1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar (to top)

-whisk together all the ingredients except for the raspberries
-with a sieve press out the juices from the raspberries and then add to the mixture.
-mix together and pour over the crust
-bake for 30-35 minutes
-once cooled you can cut and dust with the confectioners sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment